10.29.2011

The Gifts of Fall

Fall brings the harvest! For the past 2 years my sister-in-law Andrea and I have been canning together. The first year we did peaches, pears, applesauce, apple pie filling and peach salsa. Last year we just did peaches and pears. This year she decided to move away. A great opportunity for her family but left me without my canning partner. My applesauce was running low and my Bishop's wife found a great deal on apples. So I decided to can by myself. Not as fun without a friend but still very rewarding. I do enjoy canning. Next year might have to be another big canning year. We need to stock-up again.
A store bought apple VS. locally grown.
One of my 2 big boxes of HUGE red delicious apples. "I am sorry beautiful red apples, but you will be mashed into yummy applesauce."
The process with the "applesaucer", so easy! Boil the apples to soften them up and put them through. No peeling or coring required.
The final result. Two boxes = 16 qts and 16 pts all for $12.00!

A fall favorite for the kids and family tradition- The Pumpkin Patch!!
Kids do get taller every year. No matter how many times I tell them to stop.. they don't listen!

Alexis' first pumpkin patch, she is cheating a little bit with dad holding her up.
Mr. Scarecrow and his 3 little pumpkins.
Riding out to the pumpkin patch.
Alexis' 1st pumpkin.
Kellen's pick
Jakob's pick
Are you ready for it? Wait for it...My little pumpkins with their pumpkins. :)

2 comments:

The Stevens: said...

I would love to learn to can applesauce, and other things...:) I could be your canning partner?:) (Thanks for updating your blog so quickly:)

Net said...

That last line makes me smile.
I am totally impressed with your canning and totally jealous of your locally-grown apples. Blasted Texas.